Understanding Sciatica from Grice Chiropractic
Sciatica is a common cause of lower back pain that is caused by inflammation or compression of the sciatic nerve. At Grice Chiropractic, we have been providing residents of Pittsburgh, PA, and Mars PA area offers chiropractic care for sciatic nerve pain. Read on to learn more about sciatic nerve pain and how it can be relieved through chiropractic care.
What Causes Sciatica?
Different causes of sciatica include:
- • Stenosis: This condition occurs when the pathway your nerves use to travel up the spine is narrowed. It usually occurs with age.
- • Injuries: Any trauma between the vertebrae in the spine can lead to sciatica
- • Tension: Stress and tension in the lower back can irritate the sciatic nerve.
What are the Risk Factors?
Sciatica is a common back ailment, but the following risk factors make you more likely to experience sciatic nerve pain:
- • Being overweight: Carrying extra weight is going to put more pressure on your back. Your muscles must also work harder to support this extra weight, potentially placing excessive pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- • Weak core: The “core” is the center of your body, including your back and abdomen. A stronger core provides better support for your lower back.
- • Physically demanding job: Heavy lifting and prolonged sitting are triggers for sciatic nerve pain.
- • Sedentary lifestyle: Stationary muscles can become stiff and irritate the sciatic nerve.
- • Smoking: Nicotine has damaging effects on your body, including your spine.
- • Diabetes: Diabetes can damage your nerves, including the sciatic nerve.
How Chiropractic Treatments Help Sciatica
Chiropractic treatments are highly effective for sciatica since it is a back condition. Chiropractic techniques for sciatica relief include:
- • Adjustments: The hallmark of chiropractic treatment. our chiropractor will restore your spine’s natural alignment to ensure your body is carrying weight properly. Chiropractic adjustments also improve the function of your neural pathways.
- • Hot and cold therapy: A combination of hot and cold treatments will reduce inflammation and control pain.
- • Nerve stimulation: This technique will also relieve pain and help control muscle spasms.
You will also be instructed in corrective exercises to enhance the benefits of chiropractic care and reduce the likelihood of your sciatic nerve pain returning in the future. Our chiropractor will assess your condition to determine the combination of therapies that will be most effective for you.
Contact Our Chiropractor for Sciatica Treatment in Pittsburgh, PA and Mars, PA
If you are looking for sciatic nerve pain treatment in Pittsburgh or Mars, contact GRICE Chiropractic today. For more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor, call us today or request an appointment online.